Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

Just RAID6 :wink:

15 characters worth of RAID6

Is using a folder action in OSX the easiest way to automate tag removal when adding files to a particular folder?

The I-wanna-fuck-with-linux answer is btrfs. That might be next for me, but I wouldn’t sign someone else up for it. (Raid5/6 with btrfs is broken, don’t use it.)

1 Like

Haha. Wanna hear some “I-wanna-fuck-with-linux”? I have a machine with coreboot, gentoo, git kernel, and btrfs.

1 Like

My Synology uses btrfs perfectly, but I don’t have to dick around with it. Just works with out even knowing that it’s using btrfs

Hey! That’s what our server admin uses for our servers! I never wanted to learn about gentoo, but not that I’ve been forced to I kind of like it. and hate it. (git kernel is the only thing in that stack we don’t use)

Not that anyone cares, but best practice these days for throughput with redundancy on spinning disks is a pool of mirrors setup. You add mirrored pairs of drives to a logical pool that the OS can now intelligently spread the IO around to. If a drive fails, you replace it and now only thrash one disk rebuilding instead of the whole array. And because of this, a rebuild is like an order of magnitude faster. Also the end user doesn’t see a huge hit to performance during said rebuild because there’s other mirrored pairs to take the IO load while the one pair is rebuilding.

Just ordered my first 8TB drive. Feels weird.

It’s a magical time to be alive.

I went with 5TB when I build the new workstation, but there was a weird price plateau where they were only incrementally more expensive than a 4TB, but massively cheaper than a 6TB.

Are you doing a cloud backup? If not, I suggest getting another 8TB for some RAID. Just one feels very unsafe.

Ooooo, there’s ZFS on linux now. Getting started with ZFSonLinux on CentOS 7 | Deviant Engineer

ZFS is cool, but it feels like btrfs has destroyed all desire for ZFS.

You are talking about this 8TB hard drive as though it is the only place I’m storing data. Believe me, it’s not.

It’s big enough to be!

Nah. I have 300 GB of data from an 8 day trip to archive, and that is on a restricted amount of filming and photography. The previous external hard drive, at 4TB, filled up in about a year. This should be good for two years.

I’m paying ~$20/mo for my Glacier backups of my NAS currently.

1 Like

Truthfully I know nothing about btrfs, I’m familiar with zfs from my freenas time. I’ll need to play with this a bit more to figure out how it works and how to get the desired pooled mirror setup.

If you’re setting up a NAS yourself, FreeNAS is still my favorite. Btrfs definitely seems to be the way to go if you want RAID on a linux workstation.

It’ll be interesting to see if btrfs has much of a future, given how Red Hat deprecated it from RHEL over a year ago, given how they (along with CentOS for those who don’t want to pay) are the go to distro for many (most?) enterprise Linux deployments.

That’s interesting that they did that. I was under the impression that btrfs had taken off as the new hotness.

Brief aside. Not sure what the point of paying is really. My last job paid for RHEL and the support was almost exclusively some tech blaming the software we were running rather than actually helping. I’ve been at a CentOS shop for years now and never really missed having paid for it.