Computer advice thread ("What's the best way to do this?")

I would be wary of NVidia Shield. It doesn’t seem like something that is going to be supported. Much like Valve has given up on Steambox.

You always know that actual real PC, even a weak one, will supported and fully open forever. You don’t need it to be powerful, you can use the Steam Stream.

I’m thinking of going one step further. My current HTPC will be fine for a long time to come, even for playing many games.

For anything where I want to seriously, play, I can Steam Stream. OR… I can just put HDMI/USB jacks in the wall. It just so happens that my main monster PC abuts the wall behind the TV.

I would like to know more about this.

Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/IBL-4-Plate-USB3-0-Keystone-Female/dp/B01FAS9002/ref=sr_1_21?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1522773182&sr=1-21&keywords=wall+plate+hdmi+usb

With a short loop in the wall between two plates that are within a foot of eachother. The details depend on a lot of factors, and you have to consider how many connections and how much cable length is actually involved. But for me, the PC is literally against the same wall as the TV on the other side. I already put a plate with Ethernet to link the two rooms together, so it’s just a matter of fancier plates and mapping all the connections. TV is just another monitor on my main PC. USB lets me connect oculus sensors or controllers in the other room.

1 Like

It’s just a USB hub and an HDMI splitter that goes in the wall. You use it to hide HDMI and USB cables inside the wall, usually when a TV is mounted on the wall. Rym plans to use it in a slightly unorthodox way to hide cables going through a wall since the TV and his computer are directly on opposite sides of the same wall.

Your landlord going to be mad about cutting holes in your walls?

They would never know most likely. I replaced an existing dual coax faceplate in the livingroom with one that also has Ethernet. I cut a hole in the opposite wall and put an Ethernet one in. It looks professional.

In a pinch, if I truly had to remove it, patching drywall ain’t hard.

Seriously, in the IT program at RIT, running cables, cutting/patching drywall, faceplates, etc… were all part of the classes.

I put a bigass hole in the wall moving out of my old apartment moving a couch. I patched it that day and you could tell it was patched but it was done well enough the landord didn’t care they were going to repaint anyway. They make kits now that make it stupid easy to fix even large holes.

I once broke a hole through the ceiling of my top floor apartment because I wanted to see what was in the roof space above. It turns out ceilings in 1920’s Berlin apartment buildings are very thick, and have a lot more layers than expected.

3 Likes

Be careful with that shit the plaster in old plaster and lathe construction is full of lead.

As a IT/CS grad of RIT 8 years after you, it may have been at one time but certainly isn’t any more.

FRCC hole causes:

• Put in cables
  • Bashed during moving
  • Wanted to see what was on the other side :grin:
1 Like

Well, maybe I need to do a better job speccing things out, but a Shield can be bought for $200. A real PC would cost at least double that, at least last time I checked.

Granted, I’m not going to do many, if any, Steam games on the Shield box. I’m just going to use it for the various Android apps to stream media and or play emulated games.

I was gonna say, I had a friend in the program recently and he definitely would have mentioned that.

@Starfox

The times they are a’changing.

Doesn’t surprise me, these days that’s a “Call a day contractor to run the cable.” Trade electricians are taught how to run NIC cable inside walls. If you’re in a college program it’s more about running the network itself.

1 Like

Since my ESXi VM server is working great, I’m starting to think about consolidating my IT stuff. I currently have a RAID1 1.5TB array in my computer for storage and a 3TB single disk WD NAS that’s just bulk dump space. I’m thinking now is a good time to clean house a bit. I’ve been dragging files from computer to computer for years now and literally have no use for them. I think I’ll put the 1.5TB HDDs in the ESXi box, give them to the FreeNAS VM, transfer everything of value, and purge. The WD NAS can function as an external HD I believe, so I’ll use that to back the VMs and shit.

Got Debian 9 with Xfce setup on my crappy laptop. It’s much happier, and my ECU tuning software seems to work well.

1 Like

The crappy Toshiba definitely doesn’t have as good a battery as I remember. Not very surprising since it’s from maybe 2011 at best. I also have a Lenovo W500 from the 2009, and it has a way more powerful CPU and video card. The only catch with this is that it’s litterally too old for Windows 10 drivers, Lenovo doesn’t support it at all anymore, you can’t even look up drivers on their website. I put a new battery in it a while ago and it seems to be working great. It handles webpages way better as well.

I think I’ll dump the old 32-bit Dell and the Toshiba, they just don’t seem to be providing any useful features to me.

I need some help. I have been tasked with helping out with my cousin-in-laws wedding. She wants a video recording something so that people can make video messages for them, well wishes and such. We’re thinking some sort of app on a tablet. Does anyone have experience with such a thing before I go off and google all the things?