Cellular Phones

It’s more like a big Apple Watch without a strap than a small phone.

1 Like

If it works on its own and it’s doing basic functions then it’s like any other mini phone. Some of us phablet users would be fine with a tiny but not cheap/shitty phone to roll with when going out doing physical activities, on a date where you’re dressed up and don’t want your piece to print nor do you need the distraction, etc. Also if it is cameraless then ideal for people who need such s phone when going into a secure area.

Or get an Apple watch with LTE?

Can u check maps, send messages easily, or take calls via an Apple watch or any other watch device? What if you plan on wearing a proper classic watch, or like me don’t want any sort of wristwear whatsoever? Also I bet it’s almost small enough to fit into most women’s skinny jeans pockets, and without an unsightly bulge printing to boot, which could be a market all on its own.

The Palm from what I see, is a good looking smart phone, with all the features of, but simply half the size of most; about the size of a credit card looks like. Its small and reduced enough to go places and be a viable compact way to message, but still with the brand and style that for some users to actually consider having it, who would not dare show up with some Saturday Night Special of a phone.

Yes to all of the above.

Yeah, I thought after that of course it probably does all that in some form now. I was thinking to clarify that yes the watch can do some form of those functions, but clearly not in a nearly full featured way. Maps or equivalent might be the most workable of those, as you can probably check your wrist while driving. But I’m not putting my wrist to my ear to take a call that I don’t want to blast on speaker phone (let’s assume that if I need a tiny phone for some activity I’m definitely not bringing Bluetooth headphones in any capacity) and if I need to take a break to type out a message to someone, and I don’t want to speak aloud in present company for whatever reason, I’m generally limited to a couple preset messages on a watch.

So for people who actually need a proper modern phone but don’t need always need their primary full blown smart device that will give them an optimal internet browsing experience, they won’t be gaming or listening to music, wont be watching YouTube or binging Netflix; but also doesn’t want to just have an old flip phone like we all used to get along with, because they might in a pinch still need to see what YouTube video link you just got sent from your business partner is all about, I see something like the Palm being a good idea.

Not for everyone, some might compromise with a smaller iPhone or Android in the 4-5" range. But for me who is day to day happy with a Note, there are some times it’s overkill.

And even if it’s not practical or a far better solution than the standalone watch, they simply have to market it to enough people who think it might be.

It seems like you are simply under informed about the absolutely insane capability of the Apple Watch.

You can write messages on it by drawing letters with your finger. Actually using this is much better than it sounds. It’s basically perfect. The preset messages aren’t just a few. it intelligently provides many and very relevant responses. The speaker phone doesn’t “blast”, it’s basically perfect. You don’t put your wrist to your ear, that’s ridiculous. It does all those things, and much more, in a fully featured way.

1 Like

Which brings us to the obvious question of why do we need iPhones if the Apple Watch does all these things?

There are other things it doesn’t do, like reading this forum, or watching a YouTube video, or playing Hearthstone, or…

Most of what I’ve seen from smart watches were the original Pebble, and then a lot of then are marketed towards fitness users as a live feedback device. So yes my understanding of the latest features is marginal and since I have zero reason for an Apple Watch, I have only the vaguest idea what they can do. I saw you could get pro programmed quick replies or you could dictate with a voice to text feature. Fingering out letters is one method thats cool. I can do it with my phone but I don’t usually bother.

I get the appeal of a workout computer on the wrist when you are running or biking, having a
music player and all that. No time for pockets if you even have them. And so for those situations I would want a smart watch. But I don’t want a smart watch for most of the situations in which I would want to have a Palm.

For one, a smart watch doesn’t vibe with my A E S T H E T I C. Until they make tactical smart watches, and metalhead leather-and-spikes dark smart watches with skulls on them. I’m pretty sure I could find a decent faux vintage hipster-friendly one now, to match my Sennheiser HD1s, hopefully those come with good features.

But really since most of the time I don’t want to interface with a watch or wear a watch or worry about how it looks on me, and sometimes I just want something that can hide deep in a pocket and barely take up any room when I’m in the most pit, or deep in the woods, or out to dinner where my focus is on the person I’m with, a small, subcompact smart phone seems like a great option for a carry piece.

You can customize the digital watchface and you can get all kinds of different bands to change the aesthetic to pretty much anything. Lots of third parties make them for cheap so you don’t have to buy the overpriced official ones. The Apple Watch is a blank slate that can fit any occasion. I swap my usual NATO band to a rubber thing for biking and then to a leather thing when I get dragged to a wedding. Becomes a completely different watch, aesthetically speaking.

Here is one of many examples. This is just the first one I found.

https://amzn.to/2ChYt3f

1 Like

My favorite watchface on my watch is the one that makes it look like a DOS command line. (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.radefffactory.dosface&hl=en_US)

1 Like

Call me a curmudgeon… but when I got a first gen Apple Watch as a gift from my then wife, I returned it.

Key word. First gen.

3 Likes

Never early adopt.

5 Likes

Yeah. I’ve contemplated looking at what the current gen Apple Watch offers vs. the first gen to see if it actually would be useful for me. The main reason why I returned the first gen was because I didn’t see any significant usefulness to me with its features at the time.

Pebble watch still has the best overall UX in my opinion…

Lemme know when there’s a good smart watch that isn’t apple (I already made my decision and I’m not going into that world any time soon) or nor supported anymore (pebble) and I’ll get my first smart watch.

Don’t hold your breath.

1 Like

I take pride in the fact that I wear no jewelry. A actually good non apple smart watch would break that. I’m fine as things are.