Notable Deaths

Dad was the only Wait Wait champion to get four answers right (I don’t remember why he was given a fourth) sometime in the late 90s so we had Carl’s voice on our answering machine for as much of my life as I can remember and we had a landline.

Wrestling legend Bruno Sammartino passed away at the age of 82. As a child Sammartino survived WWII in Italy by hiding with his family in the mountains. After moving to the United States in 1950 he picked up weightlifting, bodybuilding and later wrestling. He became the face of the company of the WWWF, which would eventually morph into the WWE, in the 1960s and 70s, holding their world championship title for 7 years in a row and 11 years total, boasting lots of sellouts at Boston Garden and multiple versions of Madison Square Garden.

2 Likes

Damnit.

1 Like

Woah. I mean, I’ve only heard a bit of his work, but i liked it. That sucks…

1 Like

Poop, I liked his stuff. :frowning:

She’ll always be my Lois Lane…

1 Like

I guess it’s time to reread The Right Stuff.

Not sure if it counts as a true celebrity, but… “Roblimo” of Slashdot fame passed away.

https://www.linuxjournal.com/content/rip-robin-roblimo-miller

1 Like

That TotalBiscuit guy died. He had cancer for awhile, so it wasn’t a surprise. I never watched any of his content, and I always assumed he was just another one of those YouTube shoutymans. People seem genuinely upset though, so maybe he doesn’t belong in that other thread. Considering his profession, that is quite an accomplishment.

I was watching the developers of Warframe stream when the news was given to the hosts who were close to him. Their reaction was incredibly hard to watch.

Fuck cancer.

2 Likes

TB gave GG cover in 2014 and never recognized it as reactionary garbage after four years. He used his platform to lend legitimacy to the worst parts of the internet. Fuck cancer and fuck TB.

Edit: receipts https://twitter.com/CranBoonitz/status/897892350789287936

5 Likes

Oh yeah, I’ll never deny that he was deep into those toxic swamps, he was right up there. As to why a lot of people like him, even outside the gomer armpits of the internet is because he looked at a lot of new/upcoming games and gave them a platform/audience. The warframe devs even go as far as to say that they would have been dead in the water without him.

But yeah, he wasn’t a likeable person in life, to say the least.

Oh. So he does belong in that other thread. Why are people so upset then?

I didn’t like TotalBiscuit and think he both overly emphasized completely surface-level gaming stuff (i.e. graphics) over more meaningful stuff like themes or story, and provided cover for the actually nefarious, shitmonster gamer culture. However, I don’t think, as far as I can tell, that the guy was genuinely racists/sexist/homophobic. He probably bought into GG’s cover of “ethics in games journalism”.

People are upset because “even racists have families”. When Antonin Scalia died people also were upset. Just because you are a shitty person doesn’t mean that there aren’t some people who like you or the things you did in life and those will be upset when you pass away. As an observer, even if you are on other side of that fence, you can’t begrudge people their mourning because that in itself is also a shitty move.

4 Likes

How unfortunate. Almost nobody deserves to go out like that. May his friends and family have all the support and kindness he denied others in his life.

Not me. (gif of Ren and Stimpy when everyone dragged their butts on the grave).