Notable Deaths

I have no idea how anyone could have gone through school in the mid-to-late 90’s without hearing, at the very least, “Zombie.”

3 Likes

I went on a sailing trip when I was 13. The only music player anyone had was a tape deck, but nobody had brought along any cassettes. Except the “Zombie” single. So for about a day and a half, we pretty much listened to that song on repeat. That song and the Cranberries in general is linked so hard to that week-long sailing trip in my brain, it’s like my strongest sense memory.

2 Likes

I saw Cranberries live in New Mexico. Her Linger song and music-video were what drew me to their music.

That’s kinda amazing but I can’t imagine that made you a fan of that song, I can’t imagine listening to one song over and over for 2 days straight.

I heard it so much I don’t even think of it as a song any more. Just like a sound that happens when sailing to Edinburgh.

2 Likes

Rosie the Riveter

2 Likes

Ursula K. LeGuin has written some of my favorite science fiction ever. Anyone who wants to talk or think about political economy should read The Dispossessed. The world is a sadder place without her in it.

5 Likes

Dunno if he counts as famous, but Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad died at age 91.

Anyone who was once the richest person on Earth deserves a mention at least.

Oscar Gamble

Nicholas von Hoffman (he got obits in the Times and the Post I’m calling him a celebrity for the purposes of this thread)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/nicholas-von-hoffman-post-reporter-and-columnist-with-a-literary-flair-dies-at-88/2018/02/01/2321ec46-0765-11e8-8777-2a059f168dd2_story.html?utm_term=.896b657cb21e

John Perry Barlow

1 Like

So I guess he was also a lyricist for the Grateful Dead. That’s interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ahB25FJ6o

1 Like

NOT dead, just ALMOST dead, but there isn’t really a thread for that, so…

1 Like

So many young heart attacks recently.

Roger Bannister died. First sub-4:00 mile.