Celebrity Deaths

To be fair, I’m only a few years younger than Rubin, and I didn’t knowing hear a Smashing Pumpkins song until a couple years ago.

We all have blind spots.

I also probably overestimate the amount others straddled scenes in high school and such. Since I was hanging with the theater/stage crew group and the geek/nerds I ended up getting exposed to stuff some of you nerds probably didn’t encounter… NERDS :-p

I probably heard Zombie 100 times on MTV alone as a kid.

I have no idea how anyone could have gone through school in the mid-to-late 90’s without hearing, at the very least, “Zombie.”

I went on a sailing trip when I was 13. The only music player anyone had was a tape deck, but nobody had brought along any cassettes. Except the “Zombie” single. So for about a day and a half, we pretty much listened to that song on repeat. That song and the Cranberries in general is linked so hard to that week-long sailing trip in my brain, it’s like my strongest sense memory.

I saw Cranberries live in New Mexico. Her Linger song and music-video were what drew me to their music.

That’s kinda amazing but I can’t imagine that made you a fan of that song, I can’t imagine listening to one song over and over for 2 days straight.

I heard it so much I don’t even think of it as a song any more. Just like a sound that happens when sailing to Edinburgh.

Their music was used in almost every 90s movie soundtrack. You may not recognize the music, but you definitely heard it.

Rosie the Riveter

Ursula K. LeGuin has written some of my favorite science fiction ever. Anyone who wants to talk or think about political economy should read The Dispossessed. The world is a sadder place without her in it.

The Dispossessed remains one of my favorite pieces of fiction.

The write up on BBC is really moving.

Dunno if he counts as famous, but Ikea founder Ingvar Kamprad died at age 91.

Anyone who was once the richest person on Earth deserves a mention at least.

Oscar Gamble

Nicholas von Hoffman (he got obits in the Times and the Post I’m calling him a celebrity for the purposes of this thread)

I am sorry for you loss.