Celebrity Deaths

“Shinobu Hashimoto, a screenwriter whose creative partnership with director Akira Kurosawa helped launch Japanese cinema to international prominence in the 1950s, died July 19 at his home in Tokyo. He was 100.”

“…he was best known for his work with Kurosawa, in widely imitated films that ranged from the sword-fighting period piece “Seven Samurai” (1954) to lyrical explorations of justice and mortality in “Rashomon” (1950) and “Ikiru” (1952).”

Not a celebrity, but a person that should be better known:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/obituaries/aiko-herzig-yoshinaga-champion-of-interned-japanese-americans-dies-at-93/2018/07/25/4086b026-9015-11e8-bcd5-9d911c784c38_story.html?utm_term=.8647da984756

"And then, in the early 1980s, Mrs. Herzig Yoshinaga picked up a red bound volume sitting on the corner of an archivist’s desk. As she later told the Los Angeles Times, the book contained the original draft of a 1943 government report on internment, apparently the last such copy in existence. “I began thumbing through the report, and then, when I came upon an important section, I nearly hit the ceiling.”

Mrs. Herzig Yoshinaga, who was 93 when she died July 18 at a hospital in Torrance, Calif., had uncovered evidence suggesting America’s World War II internment policy had racist motives and was not a result of “military necessity,” as Pentagon officials claimed.

Her findings helped persuade Congress to pass the 1988 Civil Liberties Act, which granted $20,000 in reparations to each survivor of the camps and a formal apology from President Ronald Reagan."

I am late to the game on this one but FrankerZ has passed

Stan Mikita, Hockey Hall of Famer and innovator of using curved stick blades, has passed at age 78. Even the non-hockey fans here will at least have heard his name, as the name used in Wayne’s World to parody the famous Tim Horton’s donut shop chain. Mikita himself had a cameo as well.

Not yet, but probably soon.

Jim Neidhart passed away yesterday. It sucks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-16/aretha-franklin-queen-of-soul-who-spelled-respect-dies-at-76

https://www.npr.org/2018/08/25/537705767/sen-john-mccain-former-presidential-nominee-and-prisoner-of-war-dies-at-81

His legacy is one of harming others, and that now dies with him.

So does the fact that he was a Vietnam vet and POW make it better or worse that he voted for the Iraq and Afghanistan wars? I used to think it made it better because it meant he knew what he was doing but maybe it makes it worse because it means he knew what he was doing.

I will be in the minority in saying while I didn’t agree with him on many issues I think he was a man of integrity and I am sad at his passing.

I don’t believe that he was. His political history is mostly vile, and he repeatedly made public shows of resistance while always voting the party line.

I don’t respect him, in life or in death, nor do I recognize his integrity.

I mean, that’s a figurative always. I can think of one time he didn’t.

Didn’t he also purposely hold onto his Senate seat when he was diagnosed in order to ensure there wouldn’t be a special election, and that his replacement would just be a GOP appointee?

This news made my day. He was a vile man and it is a shame he did not die when he was a young showboating war criminal who crashed his own plane due to his stupidity.

Fuck you fifteen characters.