Boat Times

Only sort of. It’s partially floated but still aground. Plenty of time for something else to go wrong.

EDIT: Ope, I’m wrong, it’s fully righted now.

2 Likes

Well now that the Boat Times are coming to a close, here’s a perspective I appreciated.

1 Like

now that the Boat Times are coming to a close

1 Like

The boat is unstuck but I imagine it will take months for all the shipping backlog to catch up. It’s going to be interesting for a while, even though there won’t be interesting photos :confused:

Fun read

2 Likes

Pilot the canal yourself:

1 Like

How many kinds of shipping containers are there?

1 Like

Very bad boat times.

1 Like

This line stuck out to me:

They practice what one submariner calls “thrifty” breathing, in order to conserve the most precious commodity in a bubble that is cruising underwater: breathable air.

But subs make infinite oxygen?

the diesel electric-powered submarine

Oh. Sure. At least the trillions we’re spending buys an all-nuclear sub fleet.

Tangential to your comment, but if anyone is interested in *HOW* US nuclear submarines produce, monitor, and control the oxygen need onboard check out this video:

I didn’t understand this part at first:

Iranian officials offered no cause for the fire aboard the Kharg. However, it comes after a series of mysterious explosions that began in 2019 targeting ships in the Gulf of Oman. The U.S. Navy later accused Iran of targeting the ships with limpet mines, timed explosives typically attached by divers to a vessel’s hull.

Iran denied targeting the vessels, though U.S. Navy footage showed members of Iran’s Revolutionary Guard removing one unexploded limpet mine from a vessel.

The navy had accused Iran of attacking non-Iranian tankers with limpet mines.

Limpet mines just makes me think of this.

1 Like

I always think of the movie “The Incredible Mr. Limpet”

Time to break out the memes again.

Ah, what a pure and simpler time that was. The boat was stuck, that was bad, we had a laugh at the hubris of man.

2 Likes

The scale of this is nuts.

4 Likes

Locks are one of those things that just continue to astound me. I know the principle isn’t that hard to understand, but the scale of engineering required is ridiculous.

1 Like

Another boat isn’t stuck this time, but now we’re seeing the economic aftermath of that incident.