Basketsball

Anyone want to go to a game with… 100 people with corona?

That is some PRO gaming right there.

Cuban is bad, but this is good.

1 Like

Well, that didn’t last long.

Lesson of the day: Don’t play basketball on the outskirts of Chernobyl.

1 Like

A new long form documentary by Secret Base, this time only a single part but an epic feature movie length.

There is a 19 year old French professional basketball player named Victor Wembanyama. He is expected to be the first overall pick in the draft.

Reportedly he has grown and is 7’5" (226cm) while wearing shoes. Wikipedia says 7’2" (218cm).

For reference, Manute Bol was 7’7" (231cm).
Shaq is 7’1" (216cm).

Here’s a highlight reel from YouTube.

Obviously won’t be that dominant in the NBA, but still. Cheat mode.

Not just expected to be first pick, he’s a mortal lock. Scouts are saying he’s the best prospect (for what that’s worth) since LeBron.

Rym and Scott: we’ve been doing Geeknights for so long

Jim Boeheim:

I knew he had been there a long time, but I didn’t know it was that long. Right now seems to be the season for sports teams doing their coaches and players dirty. LA Kings traded Jonathan Quick.

College basketball is supposed to be about the kids, not about winning. All those students who play for some legendary coach, even if they lose a whole bunch, get a learning experience that shapes the rest of their lives.

It could be the case that the president or athletic director know something about Boeheim that led to this decision. If I knew of such a thing, then I might be able to easily agree with it. But if the decision was simply because of the team’s recent performance on the court, then all I can say is that they played themselves.

In sports wanting to play for and learn from a legendary coach is maybe the biggest factor in recruiting. Much like how academically focused students will come to a school because of a legendary professor. If the team stinks and they also don’t have Jim there, I predict they will not see the improvement on the court they are looking for for quite some time.

The difference between a legendary professor and a legendary coach is that a legendary professor can gain that reputation because they’re good at their job, or are famous for their research or some other thing. A legendary coach is legendary because of how much they win and how successful they are, not because they’re particularly better at molding college athletes to be better people or whatever.

If the legendary coach isn’t winning anymore, their legendary status is now past-tense.

I agree with you that in an ideal world, college sports shouldn’t be about just winning and it should be about the kids, but when we’re talking about the NCAA, and especially about basketball, we’re talking about a multi-billion dollar business.

At the end of the day, it’s all about winning, sponsorships, TV deals, getting the best recruiting class, etc. If a coach isn’t winning, they’re a negative to the team and the college athletics program, regardless of how good they are at shaping and teaching student athletes.

It sure seems that way doesn’t it?

A friend and I were discussing how often colleges immediately find another hall of fame coach when one leaves. Some that come to mind:

• Michigan State: Jud Heathcoate wasn’t a name I knew, but he coached there for 20 years, including the Magic Johnson title. And then Izzo took over.
  • Kansas: Larry Brown to Roy Williams to Bill Self. Also some guy named Naismith preceded Phog Allen, who their arena is named after.

And… that’s kind of it? Hard to find guys like that.

For the Knicks fans

If you don’t want to be boo’d by your own fans, then don’t fuck up. If you want to be cheered, even if you lose, go play in the midwest somewhere.

That was my reaction if your fanbase cheers for you when you actively suck, then they are sunshine fans that are only there for the local town, not being fans of the sport itself.

Usually when someone says fair-weather fan they are talking about fans who only pay attention to the team and cheer for it when they are playing well. Otherwise, they don’t show up, don’t buy tickets, don’t pay attention to the sport at all.

Someone who shows up and cheers for a losing team isn’t that. There is just a cultural divide. Everyone cheers when their own team plays well. But when your own team plays poorly do you boo your own team? Do you boo the other team?

In a place like NYC where my sports culture comes from we boo the other team no matter what, we boo our own team if they suck, and we only cheer when our own team wins.

Other places do it differently.

But as a player it’s understandable why they would hate us NY fans. The booing from your own fans really does not help your mental game. You already feel bad for losing, and now you feel even worse! But it also makes winning that much sweeter. You were so good that you even got these angry bums to cheer for you!

New York           Philly
            🤝
    Booing your own team
4 Likes

Have to agree, Philly Fans will absolutely boo at any hint of perceived weakness/laziness/bad play.

3 Likes

FIBA will air in a few days for those who like international competition. Think world cup but with Basketball. Most of the games will be streamed live on Max and Fox.

Highlights should be posted here