The progress of phones went like this:
- Handsets attached by curly cords to dialer bases.
- Handsets with buttons on, still connected via curly cord to the wall.
- Cordless phone handsets with a base station for charging.
- Mobile phones for making calls and text messages.
- Smart phones for internet access.
Currently I use BeatsX earbuds with the W1 chip for super easy switching between devices. The forward step in my quality of life is INCREDIBLE!!!
Last week I had an issue with the bluetooth headphones and had to go back to wired headphones again for a few hours. It felt BARBARIC to have to worry about the headphone wires getting tangled in stuff, having to route the wires through my clothes. And worse, I had to have my phone in a specific pocket again, and carry it around the house with me. When I juggled, I had to have it in my pocket again, something I’ve not needed to do while training for the last 8 or 9 months or so. These days my phone can be anywhere in the house, or charging, and my mobility isn’t effected at all.
And when I was in bed and wanting to switch from my laptop to my phone and then to my ipad, I had to unplug and plug the wire into all three devices in turn… rather than just swiping up and selecting “Luke’s BeatsX” or selecting from the dropdown menu. Software switching of audio to my ears is sooo smooth with the W1 chip and Apple devices.
Compared to the progress of phones, it was like going from a cordless phone back to a wired phone. It was so jarring I couldn’t believe I’d been fiddling with wires since I started listening to MP3 players back in 2004 or whenever.
Putting this into perspective, the progress of headphone plus device listening is something like:
- Earphones attached by chords to plugged in devices.
- Earphones attached by chords to portable devices that need to be carried in pockets.
- Cordless earphones unconnected to portable devices that need to be carried in pockets.
- Cordless earphones unconnected a device that doesn’t need to be carried in a pocket.
That last step is what I already get when at home, but not when I’m out and about. With my BeatsX and my Series 3 Apple Watch I’ll have all the benefits that I get at home, but not have to ever worry about my phone being left at home while I bike or run or juggle or go out for the night.
For example, I’d love to head off a cruise ship, leave my phone in my cabin, go to the beach, swim, hang out, listen to music and podcasts or whatever, get notifications and text messages, chat to my girlfriend on the phone, and then be back on the ship. Never have to worry about leaving my iPhone on the beach while I’m swimming? Sign me up!