Anime Watchlist

I thought FMA Brotherhood was supposed to have a good ending. Instead I got DBZ bullshit. Good show overall though.

I need more Shokugeki no Soma like, right now.

I really didn’t expect the show to progress to something semi-serious, but I appreciated its growth a whole bunch.

Also, I totally stole a couple of cooking techniques from the show. That whole aspic on rice thing? That’s pretty damn good.

3 Likes

Sorry, no more until April

I remember calling that show out as bullshit after episode one. But then I watched episode 2. And 3. And by the end of the first season I’m watching the manga.

I do think some of the manga plot gets nonsensical as fuck, but I still read every issue and watch every episode.

I did very much want to try it.

I have upped my tomato pasta sauce game after watching one of the Aldini’s make that sweet calzone.

It may be trash, but dang it, it’s like a sports anime about a thing I care about.

These days whenever I sell the Food Wars to people, I go “Imagine if Iron Chef was a shonen battle anime.” And then people remember how hype that was and dive in deep.

1 Like

I decided to watch some Ranma out of nostalgia. I expected it to be 100% pervy garbage, but there’s actually some decent comedy and quality animation. Still a lot of pervy garbage though.

Started watching “A Place Further than the Universe” (Sora Yorimo Tōi Basho) and that series is a whole lot better than I expected. I started watching it due to a video by Mother’s Basement that explains the details of its opening credits sequence. On its surface yeah, it’s still one of those “cute girls do a thing” kind of shows, but just saying it’s that is a bit of a disservice. There is an actual plot that the show goes toward, the characters are well rounded with proper motivations and flaws they try to overcome, and the animation is superb, particularly the background art is just beautiful. Hell, this show even has a proper ethos it follows with its theme of “Carpe Diem” which only rarely shows can put together, and there is no real unnecessary fanservice with gag boobs or Beach/Onsen type of episodes.

It’s not a “must watch” type of anime, but it is definitely worth watching.

Because I kept seeing this gif of anime girl dancing next to a washing machine, I watched the first episode as well as part of the second episode of Eromanga-Sensei. Couple of you are probably already groaning, but in my defense I am rather out of the loop of the recent seasons. Turns out this is an adaptation of the light novels of the same name by the same author as Ore no Imoto yadayadayada, and this time he is even more explicit about his desire to fuck his sister because the main protagonist is also a light novel author. So yeah, not watching any more of that.

My wife and I watched Konohana-kitan, which is a slice of life show about fox girls running a ryoukan for spirits and gods. It’s gorgeous to look at with lavishly detailed scenery and clothes. It does some shallow but entertaining dips into Japanese mythology and has a lot of very heartfelt moments. It is very much a yuri show, the cast is all women and girls and there is romantic tension between several characters which I felt was treated respectfully. (I looked it up and the author of the original manga is a woman so I’m sure that helped.) There is a bit of fanservicey stuff, like characters relaxing in the onsen, but it wasn’t overly prevalent. Overall, very cute, very heartfelt, fun B+ anime.

I’ve been working my way through the Magus Bride series. It’s gives me the same feels as Xxxholic and Spice and Wolf. I prefer Xxxholic more. I’m at the part where Skull head wizard past has been explained more and I have a theory on what his possible fate may be. The side characters are what makes the series for me. Lots adorable dragons and cute sexy fairies.

If you want a chill 12 episode show to watch, I strongly recommend “Laid Back Camp”.
It has cute music, amazing scenery, endearing characters, and teaches you the A,B,C of solo, and group camping. If this show would have premiered during the summer, I would have prepped myself for some solo camping during the fall.

2 Likes

Yuru Camp is such a delight, we watched it every week as soon as we could. It was cute girls doing cute things slice of life comedy but so low key and easygoing (and educational!) it was really relaxing.

1 Like

The manga’s more of the same, but scanslations are only halfway through where the anime leaves off.

I am not as hype as Geoff over here about A Place Further Than The Universe, but this is indeed an excellent show that stuck the landing with serious emotional satisfaction in the final episodes. Didn’t have a great laugh as the very last scene of that show either.

I also finally picked up the Little Witch Academia tv series from last year and it is pretty much on par with the OVAs, though I’m only like 6 episodes in so far.

I’ve also been watching Darling in the FranXX which is an interesting take on the “teenagers in robots” subgenre. I am currently two episodes behind but it didn’t take long to understand what this show is setting up, though I guess the respective positions of the pilots in the robots gives that kind of away. Still I am interested to see the “secrets” of the worldbuilding and what made the fucked-up society in that show so fucked up. And though I am not a botanist in any way, I thoroughly dig the botanical terms they are using for the stylistic naming in the show.

And then there is Gamers! which is less about games as one would expect, but instead a genuinely funny little romantic comedy about gamers, though of course with the required love-pentagram, though thankfully not to the extent as say School Rumble. It also manages to shirk away from being stagnant by mixing up things whenever things seem to fall into a rhythm. Still got two episodes left on that so hopefully they manage to finish things off well.

The spring season looks pretty promising. There are a lot of shows getting second, third, or even fifth seasons, but there’s several new shows I’m looking forward to.

Wotaku ni Koi wa Muzukashii is based on a really cute slice of life manga about a couple who are nerdy in different ways.

Persona 5 is more Persona 5.

Jikken-hin Kazoku looks like if the chimera family from FMA was slice of life instead of body horror.

If Golden Kamuy isn’t fantastic, I’m going to be upset because the manga is really good. The author also did a hockey manga called Supinamarada! that the hockey people here would like if more of it was translated.

Megalo Box has power armor boxing, so I’m down for at least a few episodes.

Fumikiri Jikan looks like another one of those cute five-minute shows.

1 Like

I might or might not check out the Persona 5 anime but unless it is a really good retelling I’d rather just play the game again.

Tada-kun wa Koi wo Shinai might be fun, its an original romantic comedy anime which I find to be the better anime usually.

Ai Admirari no Tenbin is going to be a real toss up too. I’m a sucker for Taishou period pieces and aesthetics, and the art is gorgeous, but its based on an otome game and I’m not really interested in pretty boys.

Watched A Silent Voice tonight, a wonderfully animated movie by Kyoto Animation. At its core it is about bullying, regrets, empathy and reconciliation and executes greatly on those themes. Some of the early scenes where a bunch of kids bully the deaf girl are hard to stomach which I guess is the point. I also had a hard time with some of the characters later still not accepting their part in the previous events and trying to make amends, though that seems to illustrate that some people have a hard time living with their past mistakes, trying to lay blame on the victims.

In any case, this is a fantastic movie and I bawled my eyes out at the end.

The manga is also great, and fucking brutal at times.

Just watched the new Legend of the galactic heroes. I wish the space battles were a bit more flashy but they’re still pretty and the episode was pretty engaging

1 Like