Android: Netrunner (not even Scott cares)

It’s a huge hassle, definitely not worth it. Also, I want no part of propagating awful nerd stereotypes the way garbage shows like Big Bang Theory do.

Totally agree with you about Big Bang Theory, but Billions is a quality show on Showtime, and there have been some pretty decent representations of gamers recently on shows like Orphan Black.

1 Like

Learn to play Netrunner in NYC this Saturday!

I know when they announced they were casting for this, you were worried about the media’s negative portrayal of gamers. Now that it’s out, what do you think?

I only watched this one clip, and I see nothing in it that portrays Netrunner players in a bad way. All I can say is that it reminded me why I don’t watch any garbage american live action TV. Even though they put in the effort to get the Netrunner terminology right, the acting and dialogue make me cringe harder than anything I can remember. The characters on Adventure Time have more natural dialogue than these people.

1 Like

Heh bad timing on my part I guess. I played my first game of netrunner since college yesterday and I loved it. Just saw the box in the game store and decided to try it out.

I said from the very first day I saw the R Talsorian, WotC, and FFG logos on the game that at any time WotC could pull the rug out. Sadly, I was right.

I can only hope that the reason WotC didn’t renew the license is that they are going to run the nets themselves. Clearly FFG/Asmodee wanted to renew. Otherwise they wouldn’t have done the core set 2.0 and such.

RIP.

The complicated thing is that WOTC would have to acquire the Android license from Fantasy Flight to continue the game as it stands.

It looks like they may go the Genesys RPG route in the future, and they could rework some of their miniature rules. (I’m thinking more along the lines of Imperial Assault/Runwars than something like Legion)

That’s great for people who care about the Android universe. Not so great for people who care about the card game.

Not if they fell back on the old Cyberpunk organizations, characaters and locations. Biotechnica instead of Jinteki, Militech instead of Weyland, World News Service instead of NBN.

I’m not sure what’s exactly going on, don’t know if FFG’s resources are being stretched and didn’t want to renew, or if WotC wants to do something with the game.

I have heard a few things.

One is that FFG has reduced production of things like playmats and such that has reduced money they pay to WotC, and WotC doesn’t like that. Another is that Netrunner has declined a bit, and the license renewal cost simply wasn’t worth it.

In the end, the license agreement isn’t renewed, and the why doesn’t really matter. I’ll chalk it up to FFG’s incompetence, and leave it at that.

It will be interesting to see if L5R lasts as long as Netrunner. L5R is a very solid game, but I’m not sure FFG really understands that L5R Clans aren’t Game of Thrones Houses or Netrunner Factions. The fan base is more personally invested in their Clan.

This is my time to actually move forward on making games.

5 Likes

I actually had a great idea for this area control game I’ve been bouncing around in my head today at work. I really need to set aside a block of time and make five prototypes so they can fail sooner rather than later.

You’ll never go poor betting on FFG fucking up things on the one yard line.

FFG is like a tale of two companies. When they treat a game like any other board game they can do very well but they go off the deep end trying to juggle a half dozen or more lifestyle games at once.

I just wanna run my nets. It was a really good game for most of it’s life and it was finally in an upswing. Hopefully someone makes a new version soon, preferably in the LCG model with a tighter rotation and a decent plan to onboard new players.