GeekNights Thursday - Saint Patrick's Day

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Saint Patrick's Day (the holiday). We have a fraught history with it, frankly. In the news, Scott is trying out Obsidian, Daylight Saving Time is likely going to be permanent in the US (for the second time) much to the surprise of some of the senators who made it happen, and New York governor Hochul continues to be a mixed bag.

Things of the Day

Episode Links

Live Stream:

If there was one thing that happened around this holiday is that either we would purchase a box of this or make it. Coconut and Cinnamon are an interesting pairing.

I’ve been doing the same thing, personal notetaking with Notion.so instead of Obsidian. I’ve been using it to keep track of random ideas that I have for projects, save copies of random websites/info that interests me, sort of a bookmark manager, as well as keeping track of work stuff.

I forget exactly why I chose Notion over Obsidian, it’s been close to two years, but there was reasons.

Yeah, I use pinboard.in for bookmarks.

However, whenever I learn something new or have a new thought, regardless of the source medium, that’s when I’ll make a note. The note will usually have a link to the source, maybe a pull-quote from the source, but I’ll also briefly write what I learned in my own words.

The notes / personal wiki thing reminded me of a Cory Doctorow post from last year: The Memex Method. When your commonplace book is a public… | by Cory Doctorow | Medium
Note taking things have never really appealed to me but I might have to give obsidian a try.

The only Irish pub in my little suburban town happens to be located in the building where I work. So to celebrate St. Pat’s, I’ve had a beer and food there every day this week after work. Except for on actual St Patrick’s day when they were jam packed full of revelers. Last night might have been the busiest they’ve been in several years. I’m very much not used to the parking lot here being totally full when I leave work in the evening. Absolute madness.