Book Club - The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin

Book Cover

The City We Became is a 2020 urban fantasy novel by N. K. Jemisin. Taking place in New York City (a setting in which we are heavily invested), the City itself is in peril in a world where great cities become sentient through human avatars. After the avatar of New York falls into a supernatural coma and vanishes, a group of five new avatars representing the five boroughs come together to fight their common Enemy.

It's the first book in her ongoing The Great Cities series, but it is self-contained and well worth reading alone. Unlike The Tale of Genji, it is a fast read!

2 Likes

A little past half way done reading this and really enjoying it. Good pick.

Bailed on the audiobook. WAAAY overacted, and then SOUND EFFECTS and SPOOKY MUSIC in the background when something strange is happening? NOPE NOPE NOPE.

I have strong opinions on how audiobooks should be as much about the plain text as possible. I don’t want the narrator doing quirky voices or exaggerated accents! those should happen in my head, based on the text of the book. But I can cope with it if not done badly.

But reverbe effects on the vocal track when the viewpoint character is thinking? ALSO NOPE.

I might check out the ebook when I’m tempted by this book again.

Just finished it, and liked it quite a bit. It also makes way more sense that when my father lived in NYC; it was on Staten Island.

2 Likes