GeekNights Wednesday - The last 10 years of Comics and Animation (2010-2020)

Tonight on GeekNights, we celebrate the end of the year and the end of the decade and talk about the last 10 years of Comics and Animation (2010-2020). This is in many ways a golden age of animation, and we expect it to continue. Adventure Time kind of started it all, and ran for the entire decade! In the news, Sony buys Crunchyroll from AT&T, and superhero comics are a tiny fraction of comic sales.

Things of the Day

Episode Links

Just in recent memory and off the top of my head, some fantastic animated shows I’ve watched:

• Castlevania
  • Hilda
  • She-Ra
  • Beastars
  • Kipo
  • Venture Brothers
  • Bee and Puppycat
  • Dragon Prince
  • Ducktales
  • Rick and Morty
  • Gravity Falls
  • Tuca and Bertie

I’m watching Apple TV via a year free subscription because Juliane bought a new iPad.

Really enjoyed:
Ted Lasso

Currently Watching:
Long Way Down - motorbike adventuring in Africa in 2007, the followup to Long Way Round, which we’d watched before.

Watching next:
Long Way Up - the Apple TV exclusive third season of “Long Way” where they ride electric motorbikes up South and Central America. Looking forward to it!

That’s as far as we’ve got watching actual Apple TV content.

I’m finally now listening to the episode.
Jeff Kinney is not the author of Captain Underpants. That would be Dav Pikey.
Kinney is the author of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.

Not having been born at a time where I have read either one, I get them confused. For someone my age, they only come up when having this discussion. And the same points apply to either one. They are both comics. And in the US, they both have vastly greater readership than any superhero comic. Not sure which one is bigger than the other, though.

…hut can your LED Christmas lights play Doom?

2 Likes