GeekNights Wednesday - Manga Distribution in the US

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the various issues around manga distribution in the US. Like, when kids search for manga and find more pirate sites than legitimate ones. In the news, Scott beefs with the city of Philadelphia, BNA is coming from Trigger, the Manga Research and Reading Network in New York is pretty awesome, the Otakon Artist Alley "controversy" wasn't what it appeared to be, and we'll see you at MAGFest, PAX South, and PAX East in rapid succession!

Things of the Day

Episode Links

Episode didn’t auto-post to the forum. So here it is.

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the various issues around manga distribution in the US. Like, when kids search for manga and find more pirate sites than legitimate ones. In the news, Scott beefs with the city of Philadelphia, BNA is coming from Trigger, the Manga Research and Reading Network in New York is pretty awesome, the Otakon Artist Alley “controversy” wasn’t what it appeared to be, and we’ll see you at MAGFest, PAX South, and PAX East in rapid succession!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/32287656

I groaned at the batteries and Santa stuff. 2 separate one time incidents, one from over 50 years ago. I don’t even care about sportsball teams.

Also I can totally try to get you that POV footage.

Scott’s animus toward other cities based on their sports is certainly a thing :wink:

I’m only 15 minutes in and I’m hoping this rant just carries on for the entire episode

4 Likes

This is the content you crave. We know this.

GeekNights began as us arguing with eachother: the show.

2 Likes

Realizing just now that I’ve been dramatically underestimating your age.

I am interested to see how old you thought I was and how old you think I am after that statement.

I assumed around 40 and now assume at least 50.

1. I appreciate that I you read me as the old-head I was born to be though. I just try to be knowledge about history, particularly history used to besmirch the City of Brotherly Love.

OH. I misread your statement I think, and lack the context of listening the podcast yet, which doesn’t help. That context would probably help there.

You being my age is less of a surprise than you being that much older though.

Hmm, I wonder what the average age of forum goer is here.

1 Like

Scott and Rym paint all Philadelphia as battery throwing santa haters because:

1. In 1999 a player that didnt sign with the Phillies played an away game for his team at Philly and there was a battery give away that night at Veterans Stadium and when said player took the field fans threw their free batteries onto the field towards him.

2. In 1968 during the final game of the season a big halftime show was planned. The eagles were loosing bad to the Vikings in the first half. Due to poor field conditions instead of the big show they asked a performer to dress as santa and out with the cheerleaders. Fans booed santa and threw snowballs at him.

They are both super tired stories in 2019.

1 Like

They are tired old stories, but they’re true. And they aren’t isolated incidents. Just examples of a repeating pattern that has not stopped.

The story isn’t “Philly threw snowballs at santa in 1968. They’re good now.”

The story is “Philly has been awful for at least 50 years.”

I will now only think of New Yorkers as participants in the Draft riots lynching African Americans. New York awful for at least 150 years. I’m being hyperbolic but that’s the logical extension of your argument. Like I said I don’t watch or follow sports. I think some sports stuff is dumb (property damage for Phillies parades for winning world series) but like post-sports game property damage also happens in other cities and I don’t bring it up when discussing that city writ-large.

Do I need to list every incident of Philly awfulness? I’ve got a bucketload, not just a few famous ones. I had some deja vu though, and feel like I’ve done that before. See if an old post I made is still out there, and I can add more to it.

1 Like

There’s lots of terrible racist and non-racist but still terrible things in Philly that the city owns and should own.

I just find the sports throwing things angle tedious.

Please call out South Philly for its undying love of Rizzo or the endemic corruption of city govt by Johnny Doc or why councilmatic privileged for zoning means there’s a 5 year cycle where the feds indict a different city council member for selling the public office for bribes, etc.

1 Like

I can’t do that because NY does meet or beat Philly in that respect.

My problem with Philly is the bro-y culture. It’s clear that the bros are actually a minority. It’s just that they are numerous enough to make it feel like Philly always has a tiny santacon going on every night. NY only has Santacon once a year, and it’s mostly people from Jersey. The Broboken (hoboken) one is actually the worst one.

1 Like

Full disclosure. Anecdata follow.

100% of the time I’ve eaten at an outdoor-seating establishment in Philly (twice), bros harassed us, tried to get us to give them food, tried to sit at our table and hit on people, grabbed me shoulders and rambled at me, etc…

It was surreal. And messed up. And it happened twice at two different restaurants in different places. I’ve never seen anything like that before in any city on Earth.

I also saw at least four full-on fistfights between people trying to get into the same Lyft outside bars just in the course of going to Unplugged.

Not saying Scott’s animus is warranted. He can fight that ridiculous fight himself. That is neither my monkey nor my circus, and I was fine with the Philly subway (it’s better than Boston’s or DC’s).

But my experiences with bros in Philly have been harrowing, frequent, and unique to Philly.

I’d rather be stuck on the street in Boston after last call after a losing Red Sox Game wearing another team’s colors than anywhere near Center City in Philly on any Thursday, Friday, or Saturday night.

2 Likes